Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Doom Miniatures Part 1

Expansion not included
I bought the board game a few years back when my best buddy came over to town for the weekend. We had a few rounds of it to the extent of actually recreating an original map in Doom 2. Since I have started some miniature painting project, I decided to spice up my board game since it has staying in the shelf untouched for several years, with some colors and also as a training platform.

Among the first thing I noticed was the material used was not the same as Warhammer miniatures. There is a hint of rubber texture which I did not spot until much later. This proves to be an issue as when priming the mini.

To start with, I divided the miniatures to the different color factions, originally planning to batch paint them. Starting with red, I used Bosny Blackboard Black as the primer. While it initially looks good, the paint did not stick. It is surprisingly easy to rip off the primer by sticking the miniature with a piece of painter's tape and ripping it off. Thanks to that I attempted to paint directly using Abadon Black which proves to be useful in patching the missing or scratched spots from the earlier primer. This I suspect is probably due to the rubbery texture of the miniature itself.

I decided to proceed on and crossing my fingers this is the only damage. The next easiest step to paint was the metal component on the miniatures such as the legs of the demon, mancubus rocket launcher and parts of the cyberdemon. The base is also painted to clearly differentiate the the different faction color as needed in the boardgame.
The mouth and eyes are painted using Mephiston Red and drybrush again using Leadbelcher
Just for fun, the left is washed using Agrax Earthshade while the right is washed using Nuln Oil
The same goes for the mancubus. 1 is washed with Agrax Earthshade and the other with Nuln Oil
The hero washed with Nuln Oil after Mephiston Red is painted on the trousers and the gun painted with Leadbelcher
Backpack painted using Mournfang Brown. Not washed. Probably later
Colors used:
- Bosny Blackboard Black for primer
- Leadbelcher
- Mephiston Red
- Mournfang Brown
- Agrax Earthshade
- Nuln Oil

Next step:
- New primer for the rest of the miniatures




No comments: