Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Hobbit Starter Set Part 1

After painting most of the W40K basic, I decided to try something that requires slightly more details. Enter The Hobbit Starter  Set.

The idea of this getting this set was to practice more on painting fine layer/details that I foresee doing more in the future. Plus it gives me a wider variety of paint if compared with getting the Warhammer Fantasy Paint Set as 3 colors inside are already available in the 40K set.

The set, like the 40K set, comes with 8 different paint, 5 goblins with stand and a Citadel starter brush. This time around, the paints inside matches those listed in the paint guide.

Unit 1,2 and 3 - Initial work
In my previous post, I was working on using different color base. The reason, as I am told, is that it gives a slightly different tone on the end result. I probably do not have an eye for such detail. On the less, I Unit 1 was painted using Abaddon Black as the primer. Unit 2 was using Ceramite White as the primer while Unit 3 does not have any primer applied.
From Left: Unit 2, Unit 1, Unit 3

This paint set has a lot of freedom to interpret how you decide to apply the wash on the miniatures. I had a hard time trying to paint exactly as in the guide which resulted in over washing on most parts as you see above if compared to the ones in the picture below. Obviously, I need to work more on my layering techniques. Perhaps the idea of diluting the paint and using a palette is something I should really consider.

Images from the back cover. Vastly different and tidier than mine.
Next step: 
- Paint units 4, 5 and Aragon
- Try drybrushing units 1,2 and 3 to reduce the over wash effect
- Get a palette for fine lining

No comments: