Monday, July 15, 2013

In the beginning

The idea of this blog was originally to write a story for a campaign of mine. As usual, it got railroaded by life XD

Deleted for 72 hours, I have decided to resurrect this blog to chronicle my attempts in miniature painting as I am expecting a shipment of minis from my favorite line at the end of this year. As they say, good things come to those who wait and while it is some time before December, I decided work on a new skill and possibly a new hobby.

To begin with, I do not have any real experience with miniature painting or gaming for a long time until Magacon 2012 which introduced to me Star Wars Miniature Game (Thanks Richard) and the Warhammer painting session which was held during the event. However, that would have just been it (although I have collected a few of the wave 1 set of Star Wars mini for collection) if not for the Kickstarter project Robotech Tactics. Being a fan of the franchise, of course I just had to invest in it. Once the kickstarter has ended, I knew that I am in for a major paint job (trust me having unpainted minis is no fun. It is like having a meatbun without meat)

My experiences so far with painting was no more than using markers on my GUNDAMS. No airbrushing, no brush painting. I went ahead and picked up myself a Warhammer 40K starter kit one (since i needed to start somewhere) and began working on it.


I have to say this is a nice piece of kit to start with since very little texture painting  is required. It comes with all the paints required, (except for 3 which were totally different than stated in the guide. More on that later).

Another reference that helps is certainly their official guide How to Paint Citadel Miniatures, both 2012 and 2003 edition. The 2012 is updated in line with their updated paint series and includes a DVD tutorial on painting for you to watch, stroke by stroke (kidding!). Both books give excellent guide on the different methods of painting such as dry brushing, washing and layering. They even include sample shots for, not only the process for each painting method, but also some selected armies at the end of both book. It is a handy guide if you for metal (2003), resin or finecast (2003, 2012) and plastic miniatures (2003, 2012)


As this is primarily a blog for my reference and thoughts, I will be posting here only the final works or any photos that will highlight some key reference to the work done. The camera work you see here is taken using a Nikon Coolpix. Hence do not expect any very high quality photography for me although I am looking at ways to improve the photo taking, especially the lighting.

No comments: