Saturday, September 07, 2013

Warhammer 40K: Space Hulk Terminators and Broodlord Part 2

For this set, I am establishing a few rules for myself to make sure I do a proper job.

1. No overnight marathons.
2. Limit to 2 per week.

I decided to work on the Broodlord first as I already have the paint scheme based on the earlier work on the Genestealers. The first Terminator I decided to work on was Brother Valencio.
After basecoat and wash


For the Broodlord, I have developed the following steps to avoid plenty of rewashing which I did earlier while painting.
1. Basecoat with Xereus Purple followed by an Carroburg Crimson wash on the entire unit.
2. Layer claws and face with Genestealer Purple. Also layer the exposed skin on the arms and legs.
3. Layer carapace and outer skin with Macragge Blue.
4. Wash the entire unit again with Carroburg Crimson
5. Drybrush the carapace and skin with Macragge Blue.
6. Drybrush the carapace with Calgar Blue (need to get a much lighter blue to add another layer)
7. Layer selectively the claws and face with Genestealer Purple.
8. Layer the scything talons with Ushbati Bone.
9. Layer the claws and detail the teeth with White Scar (finally got myself a bottle!)
10. Wash the scything talons and edges of the claws with Agrax Earthshade.
11. Layer the tongue with Mephiston Red.
12. Base is layered with Mournfang Brown.
13. Eyes are done with Wild Rider Red.

Broody needs a hug!


 
For Brother Valencio, there were some trial and errors especially for the edge highlighting. Pardon the quality as this is my first attempt to highlight edge the proper.

1. Basecoat with Mephiston Red. Preferably with an air brush. I did mine by brush which takes longer to get the layers even..
2. Wash the entire unit with Agrax Earthshade. Emphasis given on the head and corners.
3. Layer with Mephiston Red or Wasdakka Red (no difference between both in my opinion.
4. Edge with Wild Rider Red.
5. Gold parts are layered with Balthasar Gold. If for any reason the pot is watery, get a toothpick and stir it up!
6. Wash the gold parts gently with Nuln Oil. I did mine by layering the entire piece with Nuln Oil, followed by drybrushing and washing again. The drybrush was too wet.
7. Silver parts are layered with Leadbelcher. Then again, washed lightly with Nuln Oil.
8. Banner and seals were layered with Ushbati Bone and washed with Agrax Earthshade.
9. Blue piece was layered with Calgar Blue.
10. Base is painted with Jokaero Orange
 

All that is left for this unit is the eyes. I am planning to layer it with florescent based green. Will be getting that sometime this week.

Next Step:
- The eyes
- Sergeant Lorenzo

No comments: