Thursday, September 05, 2013

Warhammer 40K: Space Hulk Terminators and Broodlord Part 1

"WE BRING DEATH!" - Deathwing Squad, Sin of Damnation. Space Hulk.

If I were to play W40K my way, I will be loading my squad with nothing but Terminators! Nothing beats these hulking units since the first time I played Space Hulk on my 486 many years back. These armoured hulks will always have a special place in my arsenal no matter what else comes up. Yes, the new centurion units are deadly. I would still make space for these commandos.

I got myself the Terminator Assault Squad together with a Librarian in Terminator armour Finecast and a Broodlord Finecast. Hopefully, these should last me the rest of the month.
 
 

I could not wait to get them assembled. It took me the whole night to assemble them up. Interestingly,this was a new experience for me compared to previous units as:
1. They are using much larger base
2. They have no base slots. Hence total freedom in positioning them
3. First time working with Finecast models

Assembly of the Terminators were not a problem with Tamiya's cement. Finecast, however, require the use of superglue and it works differently compared to plastic models. There were several suggestions in drilling the base to secure the unit on the base on the web, but I decided against it as I decide to keep things simple for now since I have no plans to pimp the base at the moment. The importance of pining the base became evident when trying to glue the Broodlord to the base as the Broodlord have a very small surface area for the glue to take hold if compared to the librarian. Plus, you need to ensure the contact surface are smooth before glueing it. It took me a while and several "accidents" before it finally sets in the way I wanted it.

Surprisingly, there is not much posing option on the Finecast models if compared to the plastic ones. The parts are grooved to join specifically at a specific angle. The texture of the model itself is also surprisingly soft if compared against the plastic ones. I suppose this would make it easier for modders to do their work. Some other time perhaps.

Anyway, they are now primed and are ready for the next step to come.

Introducing the first crew:

Sergeant Lorenzo wields a power sword and a storm bolter. I used the banner top in replacement to the wing crest from the original image. He also have 2 scroll canisters (just found out what they are XD) attached to his armour. Note to self: research on the bits before using them.

His head is currently not glued on to the body as I intend to paint it separately.
Brother Zael carries a heavy flamer and a power fist. Should have angled more to showcase the flamer.

Brother Valencio carries a storm bolter and a chain fist. Again, another unit with the banner crest at the back.

Brother Leon wields the assault cannon and power fist.

Brother Adron carries the Cyclone Missile Launcher on his back and wields a storm bolter and power fist.
Lexicanium Calistarius carries the force staff and storm bolter. I believe the staff is suppose to be an axe, based on the image on the card.
Broodlord with rending claws and scything talons. This should not be that difficult to work with based on my batch of genestealers. I will probably try something different with him. As you can see above, basing him was tough but I did it.

Next Step:
- Painting

No comments: