Friday, September 01, 2017

Warhammer 40K: Imperium of Man Triumvirates


This post was/will be written, added and edited over several days during this 5 day weekend (no thanks to National Day, Raya Haji (which turns out to be one day earlier then I expected) and the "unexpected" holiday declared on Monday for the SEA Games 2017.

*Updated 5th September 2017

It has been a stressful month (and that is just putting it very lightly) which out of nowhere, I decided to work on my minis as a means to recenter myself. I was suppose to finish up the tyranids in spite of the pieces I needed not arriving yet. But instead, I felt inspired to work on Grand Master Voldus of the Grey Knights and Fallen Dark Angel Cypher. Probably because these two were supposedly easy pieces (all silver and black, how hard could that be?)

Grey Knight Grand Master Voldus

Voldus was a simpler between the two as the model itself was primarily silver with Leadbelcher being the basecoat, followed by a wash of Drakenhof Nightshade wash and Runefang Steel highlight as per recommended on the manual.

Voldus. WIP. 30th August 2017
Voldus. Completed. 31st August 2017
Right rear view. 31st August 2017
Left rear view. 31st August 2017

The red of the cloak was just a simple layer of red with no extra wash or highlights, just to simplify things. The gold were Balthasar Gold basecoat followed by Drakenhof Nightshade wash and Auric Armour Gold highlight. I used Auric Armour since that was the bright gold layer I only had with me. I did not get the recommended Liberator Gold highlight as per recommended since I did not really see much difference between the two. Plus, I was not in the mood to open my new Retributor Armour just yet. I know realise that I should have done that after looking at how Retributor Armour performs. It just blew my mind.

Cypher, Lord of the Fallen

Cypher showed me how, that sometimes, painting the smaller models in multi-part does help make things look good. I might just get a second model at a later time (if I ever feel like it that is)

There were quite a lot of deep hidden areas since I had it assembled earlier as shown below. It is quite easy to miss them since these are hard to reach places. Case in point, the face itself. Looking at the second photo below, I came to realise that his face was only half painted! Luckily, I managed to get it fixed. Hence the second lesson. Always take a photo of your models. I highlights imperfections you never just notice while you are painting.

Cypher. WIP. Angle 1. 30th August 2017
Cypher. WIP. Angle 2. 30th August 2017

Edge highlighting the model is definitely tough once assembled. That does not mean it cannot be done.

Cypher. Completed. 1st September 2017
Cypher. Completed. Rear view. 1st September 2017 

Ultramarines Primarch, Roboute Guilliman

I got some interesting ideas after watching Warhammer TV's painting suggestion here. This lead to a lovely result that had me loving how rich Retributor Armour was. It is certainly interesting way to paint gold first instead of blue for the basecolour.
Roboute Guilliman. WIP. 31st August 2017
At the end of the 5 day session, I was not able to work on Roboute Guilliman since I skipped a day to take the family out.

Inquisitor Greyfax

Inquisitor Greyfax was an easy build, in comparison with all the models from the Triumvirate series alongside with Grand Master Voldus and Cypher. I basecoated it in Leadbelcher as per seen on Warhammer TV with lovely results before moving on to the other colours.

Greyfax. WIP. 31st August 2017
Another model that was left undone since I skipped a day. She is currently next in line on the workbench.

Saint Celestine and the Germinae Superia

These models are also painted following Duncan's guide on Warhammer TV. While the video covers only Celestine, the same can be applied to Eleanor and Genevieve with the same result.
Saint Celestine. WIP. 31st August 2017
Eleanor & Genevieve. WIP. 31st August 2017
Saint Celestine. WIP. 2nd September 2017
Eleanor. WIP. 2nd September 2017
Genevieve. WIP. 2nd September 2017

A little caution when handling Saint Celestine. My fingers were constantly grabbing at the iron halo, which is supported at a very thin piece. That is extremely fragile and will break.


Saint Celestine. Completed. 4th September 2017
Saint Celestine. Completed. 4th September 2017
Genevieve. Completed. 4th September 2017
Genevieve. Completed. 4th September 2017
Eleanor. Completed. 4th September 2017
Eleanor. Completed. 4th September 2017



The excitement working on Saint Celestine and her Germinae Superia fizzled after a day of not working on any models, and the frustration that I cannot get the looks right for Celestine's wings. I decided to just get the models completed instead. Celestine is missing her iron halo in the later shots since I tore it off as the halo was getting in my way. Of course it was reassembled back with a good amount of super glue.

Belisarius Cawl

Belisarius Cawl was a major model to build with tons of smaller parts that, although fits easily, makes it hard to both paint and assemble in the final assembly. The top and bottom also does not fit perfectly, probably only on my model to which I should have probably did some test fit before assembling all the tiny bits for the upper part. The model will be painted based on Duncan's recommendation like the two before.


2 comments:

FourEyedMonster said...

I see you have been busy through the holiday period :)
For sure you have some wonderful minis in your collection. They should have been really fun to paint. I have seen Belisarius Cawl in other sites and he (she?) looks insane with so much details O_O

DWolve said...

Thanks. Need to have the mind refocus since it's staking up hell lots of problems for me unnecessarily.

Belisarius Cawl was the reason I was interested in the Triumvirates in the first place. Wasn't that keen on the rest initially. But as they say, if you get one, might as well get all XD