Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Robotech Tactics: Zentradi Units Part 1


Got some Zentradi pods done over the weekend, since they look simple in their colour scheme. Simple? Yes. Tedious? Yes.

First batch done was the 4 regular battlepods completed in around 7 hours back to back (with a short 1 hour dinner break) including decals.
You
The final 5 (artillery, officer and recovery pods) were done 6 hours back to back with the decals done the next day.

Recovery pod. Had not much reference to the colours to use. I guess they are meant to be unassuming and non attractive to avoid attention
Not quite happy at first with this colour scheme as suggested by the guide. Turns out acceptable in the end
The artillery pods. From right: Heavy, Particle Beam, Light
The four test pods

One improvement I would like to work on is the base. Seems that my Agrellan Earth is not cracking as well as it should. Probably the crackle medium dried out since I last opened it (that's when the medium was first released). A test by applying Vallejo's Crackle Medium over them does not seem to work. Test by mixing both Agrellan Earth and Crackle Medium also does not really make any difference. I will probably have better luck getting a new bottle of Agrellan Earth unless someone has a good advice.

Some side note:
Whites: Ghost Grey, Dead White
Blues: Kantor Blue, Lothern Blue
Grey: London Grey + Abbadon Black
Green: Caliban Green, Warpstone Glow
Yellow: Averland Sunset
Red: Khorne Red, Wild Rider Red

2 comments:

FourEyedMonster said...

Hmmmm ... maybe you might try applying a thicker layer of the cracking medium. But I do agree with you on one thing i.e. these new GW paints suck in that they spoil way too easily. And I know what I'm talking about because the old paints I bought four years ago still work wonderfully. I always take good care of my paints but the news ones SUCK big time. They spoil too easily. :(

DWolve said...

Probably it's the pot design as paint accumulates along the lid and the side, allows air in to dry the paint.

Tried a thick layer, even multiple layer also without success. Waiting now for a new batch to arrive.